Friday, December 4, 2009

Cabbage Casserole... Halupki for dummies?

My family's heritage, on my mother's side, hails from the Ukraine (I think what is now Czech Republic?). As a family tradition, we always eat perogies at Christmas time. We try and make them from scratch most years, but if nothing else, we eat Mrs. T's. I hate to say it, but they come pretty close. Mrs. T's does offer a vegan potato and onion perogie, but generic brands tend to be vegan.

In addition to making perogies, my mom and I have also been making halupki every now and then for the past couple of years. Traditionally, this dish is a baked, stuffed cabbage meal, made with ground beef. Since mom and I have been eating veggie, we substituted diced portobella. Halupki sometimes comes out delicious, but sometimes comes out just okay (Expect a recipe closer to the holidays!).

When I discovered a recipe in the Weight Watchers cookbook with the exact same ingredients, I was very excited to try it out! A mandolin came in handy for this recipe. Just remember, this recipe is easy, but takes over an hour in the oven. When I made this, I shredded the cabbage as the recipe calls for. Next time, I definitely want to try and keep the leaves large. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 tsp canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 portobella caps, chopped
1, 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles
1, 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/4 head cabbage, shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.

(Don't forget to get the rice going if you don't already have some made!)

In a very large saute pan, head the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook for about 6-7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional couple of minutes.

Next, add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and rice. Brint to a boil, and turn down the heat. Allow to cook for about 6-7 minutes.

Spoon half of the tomato and rice mixture into the prepared pan. Add the cabbage. Cover with the remaining tomato mixture. Cover with foil and pop in the oven for about an hour and 15 minutes, or until cabbage is soft.

This recipe did not turn out to be a replacement for halupki, but a quick and easy dish that has the same flavors. As I said in the recipe, I would like to try this recipe with large cabbage leaves next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers