Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pureed Sweet Potato Mash with Portobella Steaks

It's been a little while since I've updated! The job is going great. I've been busy this weekend meeting lots of new people. I just wanted to post my latest foodie experiement. I have to say... this might just be my tastiest cration yet! And guess what Grammy? It was super simple.

I was craving something 'meaty' so I knew I wanted to make some portobellas. I also had some cilantro and chipotle peppers already in the fridge, so I wanted to use that stuff up.

So for the first time, I tried out a Southwest/Mexican marinade on the shrooms. I used fresh garlic, lime juice, a little canola, and chopped cilantro. I thickly sliced the mushrooms, and mixed them up with the marinade. I wrapped it all in a little tin foil 'packet' and tossed it in a 350 degree oven. I cooked these guys until I was done with everything else (about 20 minutes or so).

Next, I washed and roughly chopped 1 large sweet potato. I boiled it with the skin on, until nice and soft. Then, in a blender, I added a few sweet potato pieces, about 1/2-1 Tbsp butter, a dash of soy milk, and 2 canned chipotle peppers (deseeded). I blended this up, and then added the rest of the potatoes. It took a little work to get everything smooth, but they were nice and fluffy by the end.

Then I just made a mountain! I added the portobellas on top of the potatoes, and then topped it all off with a little avocado relish (diced avocado, lime juice and cilantro). I would have really liked to have some fresh corn in the relish, but sadly it's not the season.

Well that's it! Easy dinner for 1 or 2. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers